Skip to Main Content
Elementary School
three students working on computers

Frequently Asked Questions

Below are the answers to some of the most common questions Summitville parents ask us. We hope this ready information will make your life just a little bit easier. Of course, if there’s something we didn’t answer here or that you need clarification on, please feel free to contact us.

What should I do to begin the enrollment process?

We require that all new students be enrolled by a parent or a legal guardian. You will need the following documentation:

  • a birth certificate or similar document,
  • court papers allocating parental rights and responsibilities or custody (if appropriate),
  • proof of residency (no homeless child will be denied enrollment based on the lack of proof of residency), and
  • proof of immunizations.

Please see the Registration page on our district website for more details.

Back to Top

Must my child receive immunizations before enrolling in school?

Yes, your child must receive the proper immunizations before enrolling in school. Please see our Registration page for more information.

Back to Top

Does Summitville Elementary have a dress code?

To assist the school in its quest for optimal learning and teaching time, students should dress comfortably, yet conservatively:

  • Students may not wear “spaghetti straps,” short shorts, or apparel with controversial slogans.
  • Students may not wear clothing that exposes large sections of skin such as the back, stomach, or shoulders.
  • Students must avoid articles of clothing that promote violence or adult themes.
  • Students must always wear appropriate footwear; students may wear sandals as long as they have a back strap (around the heel) and are not “flip-flops” (due to safety concerns on the playground).

If you have any questions, feel free to contact the office.

Back to Top

Will my child have access to the Internet while at school?

Students will have access to the computer lab and the Internet during the school day for instructional purposes. In order to safeguard students as they work with the Internet, we ask that parents and students sign the “Student Acceptable Use of the Internet and Telecommunications” form (found in the Quick Links area on the Home page of this website) that outlines how the district views computer and Internet usage. If you have any questions regarding the form, please contact your child’s classroom teacher.

Back to Top

Does your school have the resources to work with children with disabilities?

Yes. A student can access special education services through the proper evaluation and placement procedure. We require parents to be involved in this procedure. More importantly, we encourage parents to be active participants. To inquire about the evaluation and placement procedure, please contact Steve Wilson at (765) 948-5620.

Back to Top

My child requires daily medication during school hours. What is your policy and procedure to be able to take care of his needs?

If your student must take prescribed medication during the school day, please observe the following guidelines:

  • With your physician's counsel, determine if the medication schedule can be adjusted to avoid administering medication during school hours.
  • You must complete the Medication Request and Authorization Form and return it to the principal before we will allow the student to begin taking any medication during school hours.
  • You must register all medications with the principal's office.
  • We will properly secure all medication a parent/guardian brings to the office.
  • We will release medication in our possession, for administration during school hours or at school functions, only to the student's parent or to an individual who is eighteen (18) years of age or older and whom the student’s parents have designated, in writing, to receive the medication.
  • At the end of the school year, we will destroy any unclaimed, unused medication.
  • Parents have sole responsibility to instruct their child to take the medication at the scheduled time.
  • For each prescribed medication, our school will keep a log in which we will note the personnel giving the medication, the date, and the time of day.
Back to Top

Does Summitville Elementary School serve daily breakfast and/or lunch?

Yes. We participate in the National School Lunch Program. A' la carte or individual items are available. Students may also bring their own lunch to school. Due to our wellness policy, we do not allow students to have “fast food” lunches or carbonated beverages (such as Pepsi, Coke, Mt. Dew, etc.) with their lunches.

We also serve breakfast daily. However, students are to sign up for breakfast on the day before they plan to eat, not the day they are eating.

Lunches and breakfasts are on a prepaid lunch accounting system. Students must prepay for their lunch by turning money in to their teachers by 8:05 a.m. to go on the current day’s deposit. We will send home periodic notices of the student’s account status. If the account exceeds a $2.90 balance, the student will receive a peanut butter sandwich and milk. We will send letters of balances lower than $1.45 once a week.

For nutritional and menu information, please visit our district’s Food Services Web page.

Back to Top

Can my child go home for lunch?

No. We do not allow students to leave the school premises during the lunch period without specific, written permission granted by the principal.

Back to Top

Does your school participate in a free and reduced-priced meal program?

Yes. Please pick up an application for this program in the office. See our district’s Food Services page for more details, or contact our school office.

Back to Top

Can I visit my child’s classroom during school hours?

We welcome visitors, particularly parents, at school. Please report to the office upon entering the school to sign in and obtain a pass. We will report any visitor found in the building without signing in to the principal. If you wish to confer with a member of the staff, please call for an appointment prior to coming to the school in order to schedule a mutually convenient meeting time.

Back to Top

Where will I find information in case of a school closure or emergency?

If we must close the school early or delay the opening of school because of inclement weather or other conditions, we will notify the following radio and television stations:

  • 99.3 FM WCJC- Marion 
  • 1400 AM WBAT- Marion   
  • 106.9 FM WMRI- Marion   
  • 860 AM WGOM- Marion   
  • 104.9 FM WERK- Muncie
  • 1240 AM WHBU- Anderson
  • 98.7 FM WQME- Anderson
  • 100.5 FM WWKI- Kokomo
  • 104.1 FM WLBC- Muncie
  • 93.5 FM MAX- Muncie

We will also contact Channel 6, Channel 8, and Channel 13 Television in Indianapolis with morning school announcements.

Parents and students are responsible for knowing about emergency closings and delays.

Back to Top

Do you offer accident insurance for students?

Parents have the option of enrolling their children in the Student Accident Program which is endorsed by our school district. Please take a moment to review the coverage information (Spanish). You can call (877) 444-5014 to enroll by phone. 

Back to Top